Thursday, August 03, 2006

I received some bad news yesterday

I received some bad news today. I tested positive for prostate cancer. Like most hard chargers, never thought this would happen to me. However, a genuine understanding of my mortality has set in. Having only received a phone call from a nurse, I do not know much more than that. Of course, there will be more details to follow as I go through the process of evaluation and treatment. This test came about as a result of a routine check up. I have had normal PSA tests for the past ten years. At my annual exam the PSA was elevated but still within normal limits. A subsequent test prior to the biopsy was normal. However, the  biopsy reflected a positive indication for cancer. You mean a great deal to me so I felt you should know just as I would want to be part of your support structure in a time of crisis.
 
I don't know what this means yet but what I have heard from those who have preceded me down this path it is no tea party, but a path with God's grace that I can endure. As you might guess, my mind has been going to a thousand places, many of which do not make sense. I would presume that based upon the above history, we have caught this disease early but again, more details will follow as my physicians continue to poke me and make suggestions for treatment. I do know that I am prepared to see God's face but by no means am I ready to cash in my chips. I have the same fight as my mother who has had cancer twice and is 85 years of age. I genuinely have more concern for her than me. I believe God has a purpose for this little guy's continued life and love but I would also be accepting if He had a greater purpose in me preceding you to His side.
 
Each of us have had parents or love ones who have traveled this path so we know some of the routine I will be following. I could not count the hours I have spent in the oncology wards with my Mom and I have always wondered how I would act if it was me. So, here we go and I of course want your prayers and support. I know that attitude is a major component of health and I am optimistic that learning of this bad news in time to achieve a cure is exactly why we go through those annoying annual check ups.
 
Pat, Amy, Kendall and Champ; our extended family in TRG; and our friends hope and pray that you will not pity me/us, will not spend emotional energy feeling sorry for us but join us in positive prayer that Jehovah Rhoffe (the God that healeth me) will deliver me/us from this infirmity. We thank you in advance for your prayer and support.
 
I will continue to work a normal schedule and pursue my customary interests until the doctors or God does something to take me off of my game. However, realistically, as circumstances evolved, I may from time to time not be accessible so I will also ask for your patience in advance.  Again thank you for your friendship and support. <><

Comments on "I received some bad news yesterday"

 

post a comment